ARE YOU OUR PERFECT OPERATIONS MANAGER TO BE?
Forestrall Timber Merchants comprises two branches in north Kent which supply timber products to trade and public across the South East of England. We sell to building contractors, landscapers and DIYers alike.
Due to re-location, our long-standing Operations Manager is moving on soon (we are wishing him all the very best for his exciting future life). In his 20-odd years with the company, he started as a Yard Operative, progressed to Driver and eventually Operations Manager. His role / skills in his time with us included: picking timber, running the timber yard, overseeing the whole transport system including compliance audits/our Vehicle Operator’s Licence and FORS status, ensuring first class upkeep of our Health and Safety procedures, ordering stock, ensuring an excellent level of customer service throughout the business, milling the timber, opening and closing the yard, dealing with many an emergency scenario, ensuring our vehicles are well-maintained/serviced and safely loaded and routed economically, interviewing and disciplining staff, coming up with suggestions on how to improve the business, keeping the yard tidy, safe and orderly, ensuring compliance with tachograph regulations / vehicle inspections, managing holidays and other staff absences, ensuring consistently high morale amongst his team, making recommendations on the optimum range of vehicles to run in the fleet, liaising with our sister company Forestrall (Medway) Ltd in Gillingham and recommending companies to maintain our vehicles.
Skills and essentials:
• Transport Manager CPC qualification
• Excellent knowledge of transport legislative requirements
• Minimum of 2 years in a supervisory position
• Stock control / ordering
• Health and Safety awareness
• Overseeing training needs
• Key holder
• Vehicle / fork truck / milling machine maintenance and checks
• FSC audit compliance (environmental timber origin/certification/storage)
• Personnel / recruitment / disciplinary competence / toolbox talks
• Proactivity in solving customer issues
• First aid competent/certificated also a distinct advantage and will be required to ensure there are at least 2 first aiders on site on any normal working day.
Experience that would be beneficial
• Timber experience / timber milling knowledge a distinct advantage
• Qualified to drive all classes of vehicle including 26 tonne lorry with crane
• Fork lift licence
Salary: £35k to £40k per annum, depending on experience.
Working hours: Monday to Friday 7am to 5pm and every other Saturday 8am to 12pm (47 hours per week).
Holiday: 20 days per year (5 days to be taken during Christmas/New Year business shutdown), plus Public/Bank Holidays.
Workplace pension plan.
If you want to start a career at Dartford’s number one Timber and Fencing Merchant, then please apply in writing with CV using the Apply button, telling us how you think you are suited to this role.
(NO EMPLOYMENT AGENCIES PLEASE)