Kent has one of the highest percentages of female homelessness in the country. You will support women who are homeless or at risk of becoming so. Many will have complex needs (which are different to those of their male counterparts) that make it harder for them to engage with support services and leave the streets behind.
This will involve helping women address issues which may have led to the loss of previous accommodation, and helping them connect with other support agencies where necessary. It will also involve helping Porchlight to develop its specialist services for homeless women.
The role requires:
- A patient, compassionate approach to helping people
- An understanding of people who are have been homeless for a long time / are going through a time of crisis in their lives, and as a result may find it difficult to engage with support services
- Experience of supporting women who have complex needs, including those with dual diagnosis (both mental health and substance misuse related)
- Good communication and negotiation skills, and an ability to empower people and help them reach their full potential
- The ability to work both as part of a team and independently
- Skills in the development of new services, involving women in the process to ensure their needs are met.
Interview date: 14th July 2021
Contract: Fixed term for 1 year
Working Pattern: 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday with some flexibility required
About Porchlight: Porchlight is a charity supporting people who are homeless, vulnerable and isolated. At Porchlight, we are passionate about helping vulnerable people to reach their full potential. We strive for a fairer society where vulnerable people find stability, the most excluded are included, and where homelessness and poverty are things of the past.
Employee Benefits: As a member of the Porchlight team, you will have access to a wide range of employee benefits including:
- Free life insurance
- Flexible working hours
- 25 days holiday per year (increasing to 30 days after 5 years service) pro rata
- Porchlight pension scheme (contributions matched up to 7%)
- Access to an Employee Assistance Programme and trained Mental Health First Aider's