Gusbourne Estate Ltd is a producer of high-quality English sparking and still wines. The vineyard estate runs to 93ha over two sites (Kent and West Sussex). The primary winemaking and headquarters are based in Appledore in Kent. Also, from this location Gusbourne carries out its tourism enterprise, The Nest, which offers tours of the vineyards and tastings of the wine.
Gusbourne seeks to employ a full time Health and Safety Manager to carry out all duties linked with the company’s compliance to HSE regulations.
Gusbourne have been liaising and co-operating with an external H&S specialist to create and maintain the company’s compliance to Health and Safety Regulations to keep its employees, customers and contractors safe whilst at Gusbourne premises.
With recent expansion including additional premises in Kent, Gusbourne is now looking to employ a full time Health and Safety Manager to oversee the implementation and adherence to all aspects of Health & Safety throughout Gusbourne Estate Ltd.
The primary role of the Health & Safety Manager is to advise the Chief Operating Officer, the Chief Executive Officer and Heads of Departments on all safety, health and welfare matters to ensure the company complies with its statutory obligations.
The main responsibilities of the Health and Safety Manager: -
• Understand the application of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and other legislation relevant to the company’s business.
• Keep up to date with changes in current legislation and to bring to the attention of the Chief Operating Officer any relevant new legislation, including reviewing and updating policies and procedures accordingly
• Promote a positive health and safety culture
• Immediately contact the Chief Operating Officer if situations are found, that in the opinion of the H&S Manager, require immediate rectification or the stopping of any operation
• Develop, implement and monitor key H&S documents
• Liaise with employees, sub-contractors and suppliers on H&S matters as required
• Liaise with all interested third parties such as local authorities, health & safety authority
• Identify possible operational risks or opportunities, working with staff to ensure appropriate and effective response.
• Assisting with staff H&S inductions
• Completing regular internal audits and reviews
• Ensuring that H&S activities and checks are carried out, including review of risk assessments, safe systems of work, policies and procedures
• Undertaking investigations into accidents, incidents and near misses to provide analysis and recommendations to prevent recurrence
• Organising with external governing bodies regards staff training and re-certification and associated administration
• Managing emergency procedures (such as fire alarm drills) and organising emergency teams such as fire marshals and first aiders
• Offering general health and safety advice to all employees
• Advising employees on how to minimise or ultimately avoid risks and hazards in the workplace
• Arrange health surveillance as instructed
• To bring new techniques for improving health, safety and welfare to the attention of the Chief Operating Officer
• To set a personal example by wearing appropriate personal protective clothing / equipment and observing all safety requirements / procedures
The business comprises of the following enterprises and their locations
• Vineyards –Appledore, Kent.
• Vineyards – Halnaker, Sussex.
• Winery, primary production – Appledore, Kent.
• Winery, secondary production – Hunton, Kent.
The Health and Safety Manager role is based at Appledore but regular travel between business locations is expected.
Knowledge, skills and experience
• NEBOSH General Certificate (as a minimum, ideally diploma or working towards)
• Extensive and up to date knowledge of Health and Safety legislation
• Experience of Health and Safety management and auditing
• Computer literate with good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook
• Use of bespoke IT systems, databases, spreadsheets.
• Experience of developing and maintaining effective relationships internally and externally
• Analytical and logical thinking skills with the ability to operate at both a strategic and detailed level
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Ability to work under pressure
• Ethical and accountable behaviour
• Excellent problem solving, judgement and decision-making skills
• Full clean driving licence
• 33 days holiday (including bank holidays)
• Private Medical Insurance
Please respond with CV and covering letter. Closing date for applications:12th March 2021.