32.5 hours per week (8.15am-3.15pm Term time) - Start date As soon as possible
A rewarding opportunity has arisen for a pro-active, organised and self-motivated applicant to join a successful and oversubscribed secondary school to provide teaching and learning support to students in our provision for hearing impaired students.
• Flexibility, excellent interpersonal skills and a commitment to team working.
• Passion for working with deaf children and championing their education and wellbeing.
• The ability to support a deaf child through high quality BSL so that they can fully access classroom learning.
• Recent experience supporting deaf pupils with their studies in education and an understanding of the different needs of deaf learners.
• Confident communication and IT skills are important although training in new software programmes will be provided.
• A proven track record of supporting and promoting pupil independence.
• The ability to offer extracurricular clubs for sign language for our pupils, staff and parents.
• A good knowledge of the needs of secondary school students, with some knowledge of SEN, and high expectations of all our children regardless of need.
• Enthusiasm, commitment and resilience.
Desirable: BSL Level 2 or above.
Desirable: Level 3 Certificate in Communication Support for Deaf Learners.
Essential: Maths and English GCSEs at Grade C or equivalent
What we offer:
• A small and vibrant team who offer a supportive induction programme.
• Ongoing support through team meetings and professional development days.
• High expectations for all members of the school community.
• Supportive staff within the school and amongst the Trust.
• Benenden Healthcare membership
Closing date for applications: 9am on Monday 5th October 2020
Early applications are encouraged and we reserve the right to close the vacancy early if a suitable candidate is found
Letters of application, together with completed application form (available on the school website) giving full details of qualifications and experience to date should be sent to:
Mr P Jackson, Headteacher, Thomas Aveling School,
Arethusa Road, Rochester, Kent, ME1 2UW
or emailed to [email protected]
The Thomas Aveling School is an Equal Opportunities Employer – committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all students – any offer of appointment will be subject to satisfactory references and an enhanced DBS check will be required for all successful applicants.
97% of staff in a recent Staff Survey 2019 said that they are made to feel welcome
at Thomas Aveling and that behaviour in the school is good