For more information and to apply, please download an application pack from our website at http://www.kab.org.uk/working-with-us/current-vacancies.html or call 01622 691357 for a postal pack. We will not accept CVs in application for this post without a completed application pack.
The role of the Finance Assistant is to process, with a high degree of accuracy, all the day-to-day financial transactions onto Sage in line with our finance policy, respond to internal and external queries, and support the Head of Finance as required.
The ideal candidate will have excellent IT skills, including the ability to be self-supporting in the use of MS Office, email and spreadsheets with strong interpersonal and communication skills (for dealing with colleagues, service users, suppliers, and claimants). Strong analytical skills and the ability to present financial information in a variety of mediums as appropriate for the intended recipient is essential. You must have at least 2 years’ experience of working in a finance department using accounting software packages.
Closing date for job applications: 9am on Monday 27th January 2020.
Interview Date: TBC
Hours of work: 35 per week, between hours of 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. Part-time hours negotiable.
Based at: 72 College Road, Maidstone, Kent, ME15 6SJ and covering the area of service.
Salary: £19,197 – £21,212 per annum.
Pension Scheme: Membership of the pension scheme is available, with matched contributions up to a maximum of 6% of salary.
Wellbeing Programme: Access to a 24 hour confidential support service.
Holiday Details: 21 days per annum, rising to 25 days maximum based on length of service in addition to bank holidays.
Use of Private Car: £0.40p per mile for business mileage.
Expenses: All approved out of pocket expenses incurred in undertaking official business will be met.
To process, with a high degree of accuracy, all the day-to-day financial transactions onto Sage in line with our Finance Policy. To respond to queries both from non-finance colleagues and external agencies, and to support the Head of Finance as required for information to be accurately reported.
- Purchase ledger responsibilities, to process all purchase invoices, volunteers expenses credit notes.
- Prepare one BACS run and one cheque run per week and make other ad-hoc urgent payments as required.
- Review supplier statements ensuring KAB’s 30 day payment terms are adhered to (unless agreed otherwise), including requesting duplicate invoices where necessary.
- Produce monthly aged creditors’ lists and take appropriate action to clear down outstanding items. Provide a report for the Head of Finance on a monthly basis.
- Manage petty cash as required ensuring Finance Policy is adhered to, reconcile petty cash at the end of each month for Head Office and local teams, and prepare inter account transfers to top up petty cash accounts held by teams.
- Administer sales ledger activity including ensuring all sales invoices are correctly raised and posted to the accounting system.
- Banking responsibilities including processing credit card payments, all receipts including cheques, cash and BACS items to the accounting system on a weekly basis. Allocate payments to relevant invoices and ensure that at least one banking is performed each week of all funds received in Finance.
- Perform bank reconciliations on a weekly basis, including processing direct debit payments, banking undertaken by fundraising teams and teams in other offices, and income received directly into the bank account.
- Be administratively self-supporting, including processing incoming departmental post, and filing.
- Answer phone queries from other staff and members of the public about finance issues.
- Have a good understanding of the Finance Policy and support and advise staff on all matters relating to income and expenditure and financial procedures as required.
- As requested by the Head of Finance perform monthly control account reconciliations of balance sheet accounts including net wages, staff loans, pensions and prepare monthly accruals and prepayments.
- Process social club transactions for KAB clubs whose funds we hold, and maintain a record of outstanding balances.
- Assist in the preparation of sections of the year-end financial statements and supporting audit file as required. Assist with the on-site audit.
- Liaise with banks, support companies and others where necessary to resolve problems.
- Visit each office on a quarterly basis to undertake internal audit checks on petty cash, receipt books and orders.
- Perform any other duties commensurate with this position or as directed by Head of Finance or CEO.
Be able to demonstrate:
- At least 2 years’ experience of working in a finance department.
- Excellent IT skills, including the ability to be self-supporting in the use of MS Office, email and spreadsheets.
- Strong analytical skills, and the ability to present financial information in a variety of ways appropriate to the intended recipient.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (for dealing with colleagues, KAB service users, suppliers, and claimants).
- A proactive attitude to dealing with problems, and being self-motivated to deliver the requirements of the role with limited supervision.
- Excellent accuracy and attention to detail.
- A good pass at O Level/GCSE Mathematics and English Language or equivalent.
- Excellent prioritisation skills and the ability to complete a wide variety of tasks in agreed timescales.
- An ability to understand and follow agreed procedures and the confidence to highlight problems.
- A commitment to own professional development and a willingness to undertake training.
- Willingness to work as part of team.
- Empathy with KAB’s aims and values.
- An understanding of own abilities and responsibilities and when it is appropriate to seek support and advice from colleagues.
- Skills in using Sage Accounting system or other finance software package.
- Hold (or be working towards) a recognised book-keeping qualification.
This job description is not exhaustive and is provided to assist the post holder to know what their main duties are. It may be amended from time to time without change to the levels of responsibilities appropriate to the post and in discussion with the post holder. KAB is an equal opportunities employer.
To apply, please download an application pack from our website at https://www.kab.org.uk/about-us/current-vacancies/finance-assistant/ or call 01622 691357 for a postal pack. We will not accept CVs in application for this post without a completed application pack.