Site Services Manager
Salary circa: £27,500 - £30,000 gross per annum
Howletts & Port Lympne Wild Animal Parks, in conjunction with the Aspinall Foundation, are a charity based organisation committed to protecting rare and endangered animals from extinction through captive breeding and reintroduction programmes. The parks are home of one of the world’s most prized wild animal collections and are one of the biggest visitor attractions in Kent.
Based at Port Lympne Hotel & Reserve, this full- time post is 40 hours per week, including some on call responsibility. In this varied role you will be responsible for managing the Grounds and Facilities Team, the Horticultural Team and the Specialist Maintenance Team for Port Lympne, however you may be required to work at Howletts Wild Animal Park on occasion. In addition to these departments your management portfolio will also extend to fleet management, vehicle repair, specialist building trades, and waste disposal, which is carried out at both parks.
The main duties of the role will include:
• Improving the planning of work activities, and resource planning within the department.
• Overseeing the schedules of work operated by the estates teams, ensuring they meet the organisations priorities, re-allocating resources according to predicted changes in demand. As well as managing unforeseen events or incidents through the flexible use of resources.
• Overseeing the use of contractors, ensuring that existing contracts are fit for purpose, and that contractors deliver services in accordance with the contractual arrangements.
• Managing compliance with external regulators.
• Introducing a triage approach to the commissioning and allocation of tasks to team members and contractors in response to calls for service from guests, and any member of staff wishing to report an incident or fault.
• Introducing streamlined administrative systems, including improving the use of existing IT solutions, or the introduction of alternative solutions, aimed at reducing administrative costs.
• Introducing performance management and inspection processes, including service level agreements with other heads of department.
• Manage a discretionary devolved budget, ensuring that the department remains in budget for predicted spends.
• Improving asset management, by putting in place asset management controls.
• Overseeing regulatory compliance, with an emphasis on health and safety.
• Working closely with other heads of department to develop short, medium and long-term plans.
• Overseeing the publication of a weekly briefing sheet.
• You must have a relevant, recognised qualification or at least 5 years’ experience in supervising one of the following specialist work activities; ground and facility maintenance, fleet management and repair, or building trades such as electrical work, plumbing and general building. As well as, an understanding of the work carried out by the other disciplines listed.
• You will also possess a sound knowledge of health and safety legislation, including an ability to recognise and assess risk.
• It is essential that you have a good understanding of how to manage a budget. Additionally, some experience of delivering projects within cost as well as an understanding of procurement procedures would be beneficial.
• You must have a full UK driving licence.
• Good IT skills, comfortable using all the main MS office products, including word, excel, PowerPoint, outlook etc.
• You will be able to show previous experience of successful supervision with evidence of performance improvement.
• You must be able to utilise clear and unambiguous work schedules for teams and team members to follow.
• Possess good all-round verbal and written communication skills.
• You will have high standards for the timeliness and quality of the work carried out within the department.
• It is also essential that you can coach and develop supervisors and individual team members.
A full job description is available on request.
Closing date: Friday 4 October 2019
To apply please email your CV along with a covering letter.
or post to: Human Resources, Port Lympne Reserve, Lympne, Kent CT21 4PD.
Visit our website to find out more about us.